Articles and publications I have written or contributed to:
- I have two blogs that I post to. My blog on Education and Technology is the more active one at the moment, and reflects my current professional life. My blog on networks and dialectics is also active, but not not posted to as often as the ed tech one.
- Globalization and Charter Schools (pdf file) - A bit rough, but an attempt to situate charter schools (especially their Chicago version) within globalization (11/08)
- Globalization, Romanticism and Owen Barfield (pdf file) (1/07)
- Talking with history: Using Goethe's scientific approach with human artifacts (pdf file) - Something a bit different (9/21/06)
- The ecosystem of globalization - This is a condensation of the "Speculative capital and the ecosystem of globalization" paper (updated 10/22/06)
- Speculative capital and the ecosystem of globalization (pdf file) (6/06)
- Speculative capital and the ecosystem of globalization - a research proposal (pdf file) (5/06)
- Green Town - a Chicago environmental fantasy. Here's a link to an earlier version.(2/06)
- The Cook County Forest Preserve - homework. (2/06)
- Human population and ecology - homework. (1/06)
- Capitalism as an environmental issue - homework. (1/06)
- Biodiversity - homework. (1/06)
- Network properties - a work-in-progress to attempt to catalog properties of nodes, links and networks. (6/05)
- Networks and globalization (May, 2005)
- Economic Background Report (August 19, 2003 draft) (August, 2003)
- Lights out! (August, 2003)
- Networks and Interconnection (May, 2003)
- Networks (February, 2003) (pdf file, requires Adobe Reader, 132k) Click here for an HTML version.
- Casualties in the War on America (February, 2003)
- Thinking Wired (January, 2003)
- Strategy, Tactics and Doctrine (December, 2002) definitions to help distinguish between the three terms
- On the Waterfront (West coast longshore issues) (August, 2002)
- The stock market (July, 2002)
- Arthur Andersen, Enron, etc. etc. etc.: The crisis in speculative capital (June, 2002)
- Speculative Capital (May, 2002) (pdf file, requires Adobe Reader, 71k).
An abridged version of this article appears in the Winter, 2003 issue of Race & Class. Plus an online study guide on same. The paper is new; the study guide was originally prepared for a class in 1999. Also, some preliminary thoughts on speculative capital (4/02)
- The dumbest networks (February, 2002)
- Doctrine (July, 2001) - Discussion paper on doctrine, Marxism, and revolution
- I contributed to the League's 4th convention draft political resolution, and the economic background report. (December, 2000)
- The End of Value (also available as an .RTF file) September, 2000
- Rethinking Globalization (appeared in Race & Class, Vol. 40 #2/3, 1998/1999)
- CPU: Working in the Computer Industry (serial publication, with Michael Stack)
- Economic globalization: Capitalism in the age of electronics (appeared in Rally, Comrades!, Vol. 15, No. 2; Spring, 1997)
- Dialectics of the technology revolution (outline of a presentation done in March, 1996)
- Technology and Jobs: Forging a New Social Contract? (January, 1996) (appeared in the Winter-Spring, 1996 issue of the CPSR Newsletter)
- The Shape of History: Historical Materialism, Electronics and Value (1995)
- The Digital Advantage (Summer, 1995) (with Michael Stack, appears in Cutting Edge)
- The High Tech Revolution: Who Will Reap the Benefits? (December, 1994)
- Report from High Tech Committee (September, 1994)
- The Information Economy (1993)
- Computers and the Poor (1993)
- Electronic fingerprinting for welfare recipients (1993)
- A Computer and Information Technologies Platform (1992)
- Knowledge in Production (1992) (with Michael Stack)
- Stop the MSU-Iran Film Project (Preface, Introduction, Iran Film Project sections) (1977) (I worked on this as part of the Committee to Stop the MSU-Iran Film Project)
- The Ugly Academic: MSU in South Korea (1976) (My follow-up attempt at exposé reporting; it is what it is)
- MSU Overseas: The Ugly Academic (1976) (Projects in Brazil and Iran, my first attempt at exposé reporting; it is what it is)
Writings on globalization
My brother John V. Davis's website.
Check out Icarus Films web site, a good source of independent documentary and social issue films. There is also an Icarus Films YouTube channel.
Also check out the Bullfrog Films site, which is a good source of films on environmental and other social issues.
View The Stalingrad Scroll
My Garage King experience: a blog about getting a new garage built in Chicago.
To contact me, Jim Davis, send email to jd-At-gocatgoDotcom.
Click here to get my public PGP key
Sunrise, Las Vegas, July 2005
The White Hills on the way to La Madre Spring, Feb. 2002
Last updated 8/18/2014